September 12, 2009

Southwestern Vegan Breakfast Scramble


Thursday night I attended a special 7 course vegan dinner at the Breadbar Century City hosted by Kim Barnouin of The Skinny Bitch series. It was a great dinner with great vegan food. I was inspired to try my hand at a few vegan recipes of my own.

So how did this recipe come about you ask? Or as Dave asked, "who did you get this from?" Actually, I was wandering aimlessly around Whole Foods (a normal occurrence for me) thinking about what in the world vegans eat for breakfast besides fresh fruit. I looked in the tofu section and I found some breakfast sausage, but what do you eat that with if you can't have eggs? So I wandered around some more, and then it came to me. I would try to put together some kind of vegan breakfast scramble. Now, hurdle one, what in the world do I use for eggs? Hmmm...I went to the egg section and, to my chagrin, no faux eggs (I guess they would have been too easy). Then, I had my epiphany, of course, i'll crush up some tofu! And then...it all came together.

Saturday morning I broke the news to Dave that I was attempting a vegan breakfast, and as I brought out the ingredients he started with the vegan interrogation. "What is tofu? What is vegan cheese made of? What are those vegan sausages made of?" ... I started to get second guess my attempt at a truly vegan breakfast. As I was crushing up the tofu he was watching me with a skeptical eye. I mean, I was forcing this vegan entree down the mouth of a true southern man, I started to get nervous. How was I supposed to know how this tofu concoction was going to turn out? Well, it was done, it was plated, he took his first bite, and his response.... "I would never know this wasn't eggs!" SUCCESS!!!!

Here it what I came up with.

Southwestern Vegan Breakfast Scramble
Print Recipe

Serves 5

INGREDIENTS
• 1 white onion
• 1/2 cup frozen organic sweet corn
• 3 pieces Organic Vegan Breakfast Sausage
• 1/2 cup Hash Browns (organic if you can find it)
• 1/4 jalapeno
• 1 package medium firm tofu
• Organic Salsa
• Vegan Cheddar Cheese  (I used Follow Your Heart, Vegan Gourmet Cheese Alternative - Cheddar)
• salt and pepper and any other seasoning you have to make it taste yummy

Serve with some whole wheat toast and fresh fruit.


DIRECTIONS
• Dice onion and saute for a couple minutes until soft.
• Add corn, sausage, hash browns and jalapeno to the onions and saute until warmed through.
• Light crumble tofu with your hands and add to the mixture.
• Season the heck out of the mixture.  I used salt, pepper, sweet paprika, chili seasoning and a touch of sucanat (natural brown sugar).
• Cook until everything is warmed though.
• Plate the mixture and top with some shredded vegan cheddar cheese and some organic salsa.

(P.S. - I love that this recipe comes right after my review of Animal!! Hey, everything in moderation...including moderation!)

No comments:

Post a Comment