August 20, 2009

Crab Ravioli with Scallops and Gremolata


I was calling it an early day at work, Dave was at a client dinner, and I was trying to decide what to do for dinner. For some reason, I decided tonight would be a perfect night to experiment and try and make (semi) homemade ravioli for the first time. I was craving something fresh, tasty and simple. For some reason crab ravioli came to me, so I went with it. But I was also craving scallops, so I went with that to. I couldn't figure out whether to go with a sauce, or just simple butter. I decided a gremolata would be a perfect compromise (along with the butter of course).

Initially, I was planning on making the raviolis with wanton wrappers (since I don't have a pasta machine yet - I think that's one of those things that you are supposed to get as a wedding gift). But when I got to Whole Foods, of course, they didn't have them. So as I was about to leave and make the schlep over to Ralphs (which I was really trying to avoid - being rush hour and all) I remembered they had fresh pasta. I walked over to the pasta section and found fresh lasagna sheets, perfect I thought! I decided to ask the Whole Foods associate in the area for their opinion on using lasagna sheets for ravioli (which I thought was brilliant), and, to my surprise, she said no. Erg! Why not I thought?! She said they were too thick. I stopped, thought a second, contemplated driving to Ralphs, and decided -- this sounds like a challenge, you're on! I went with it. Here is the result.

Crab Ravioli with Scallops and Gremolata
Recipe


Ingredients
Ravioli

1 tbls olive oil
2 shallots
I pckg crab meat
4 tbls ricotta
Salt
Pepper
1 teas red pepper flakes
Fresh lasagna sheets or wonton wrappers
1 egg white
1/2 lb scallops

Gremolata
1/2 c parsley
1 garlic clove
2 tbls lemon zest (and lime zest)
Salt
Pepper
Red pepper flakes

Lemon Butter
3 tbls butter
1 tbls lemon juice
4 lemon slices

Preparation
Ravioli

1. Heat oil in sauté pan. Add chopped shallots. Sauté until translucent. Add crab meat, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Sauté until warmed through. Take off heat and cool.
2. Once filling is cooled add ricotta.
3. Separate out the lasagna sheets or wonton wrappers. Place about 1 tbls of filling on center of sheet (you don't want too much or filing will come out when cooking). Place dollops of filling about 2-3 inches apart. Brush egg white around the filling. Place another sheet on top of the sheet with filling. Cut out rounds with a cookie cutter (or a glass - whatever works).
4. With a fork, press the sides of rounds together to prevent them from separating during cooking.
5. Bring pot of water to a boil. Add finished ravioli to pot of boiling water. Cook about 6 minutes, or until done.
6. After they are done place on paper towel to absorb water.



7. Gremolata: Add parsley, garlic, lemon zest, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to food processor. Process until finely minced.



8. Scallops: Squeeze some lemon and lime juice on top of scallops. Season with salt and pepper. Grill or sauté until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side depending on size of scallops.

9. Lemon Butter: In sauté pan add butter, lemon juice and lemon slices. Heat through. Add ravioli and toss until covered.



Serve ravioli with a dollop of gremolata and scallops.

OH, and YES, it worked perfectly with the lasagna sheets!!

2 comments:

  1. LOOKS AMAZING!!!! What a great dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crab and scallops must be two of my favorite things! And using lasagne sheets is brilliant. Another of your recipes I'll be trying. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete