August 1, 2009

Summer's Perfect Condiment - Corn Salsa


Nothing says summer like wonderful fresh salsas to accompany all those grilled meats you BBQ over the summer. One of my favorite condiments is fresh corn salsa, just the perfect blend of sweetness, spice and acidity. I think I may have eaten a whole bowl of myself! Plus, it is so easy to make, and for all the flavor it adds to any dish, it's a no-brainer! This week I served this alongside some chili and brown sugar rubbed chicken and cilantro rice.

Corn Salsa

4 Ears of fresh corn
4 Tomatoes
1 Jalapeno
1 Red Onion
1 Bunch of cilantro (I love cilantro)
6 Limes
1/2 Tbls. Chili Powder
2 Teas. cumin
Optional: add black beans for a more hearty side if you prefer

1. Boil the corn until done, then cut the kernels off into a large bowl. Add diced tomato, jalapeno (add jalapeno depending on the level of heat you prefer), red onion and cilantro.
2. To make the dressing, mix the juiced limes with the chili powder and cumin. If you prefer more acidity, as I do, I added about 2-3 tbls. of red wine vinegar.

NOTE: If you can't tell, I use recipes VERY loosely, and when I cook, I add and subtract things according to my taste, and according to the ingredients I have on hand. So if you prefer more or less of something, or to substitute something entirely different, please do!!

LESSON LEARNED: Because of my very busy work schedule, I usually do all my cooking on Sundays, and then portion it out for the week. And the last time I made corn salsa, I cheated and used frozen corn -- big mistake. It was not nearly the same, the corn was soft and soggy. To avoid this mistake this time around I used fresh corn (HUGE improvement) and I dressed the salsa individually each night to prevent the acidity from softening the fresh vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment